Friday, September 18, 2009

Thoughts, Week 3

This week was all about refining our Capstone proposal. It is now structured, and each section has clearly defined requirements. This makes it much easier to write. I'm glad we started out informally, it makes this feel like a big step. I guess it's partly because our proposal now has a title page and a table of contents (even if there are only two things listed so far).

Now that we've got requirements on each section, I know how to separate my ideas, and what to put in each section. Because of this, my proposal feels more like a proposal now. I had some areas I really needed to expand on. I still do, I guess, but I know what kinds of things should go there. Specifically, I feel like my problem statement needs work. I did a fairly good job of not talking about the solution (have you ever tried it? It's hard - I want to dive into the answer and stop talking about the problem), but that part is a bit empty compared to my solution description. Then again, in addition to general requirements, the solution description is the area to talk about how the solution fulfills the 5 required elements of a Capstone. I guess it makes sense that the solution section is bigger than the problem section, but it still makes the problem section feel smaller by comparison.

I also had to get my advisor contact form signed and scanned, but that wasn't a big deal.

No comments: